Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Delicious Cake!

The past two nights I've been working on this delicious beast! Today was a birthday party at work and I offered to make the cake. Neopolitan! The bottom layer is from scratch, it's the recipe off the back of the Hershey's Unsweetened Cocoa Powder tub, the middle layer is a box white cake and the top layer is an actual strawberry cake!! Oh! It's so moist! Here's the recipe for the strawberry layer...




Strawberry Cake:
1 package Betty Crocker SuperMoist white cake mix
3/4 cup water
1 package (0.14 oz.) strawberry flavored Kool-Aid (or other pink colored flavor, I used cherry)
1 package (10 oz.) frozen sliced strawberries, thawed, undrained
3 eggs
frosting




1. Heat oven to 350 degrees, greese/flour or spray 13x9 or two 9" rounds.
2. In large bowl, beat cake mix, water, Kool-Aid powder, thawed strawberries and eggs with electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, then medium speed for 2 minutes.
3. Bake 30-35 minutes for 13x9 or 20-25 minutes for the round pans.
4. Let cool completely before frosting.




I like to layer the two rounds with the confetti frosting in between. Originally the recipe is one I found for a strawberry daiquiri cake, it includes 1 tablespoon grated lime peel and 3/4 teaspoon rum extract. The frosting also called for 2 teaspoons grated lime peel added to a tub of vanilla frosting. I've made it this way too, it's not bad. Either way, it is a really moist and flavorful strawberry cake!




This next pic is my contest piece that I will be entering shortly. I can't decide about the background, black makes the opalite glow, white makes the new jade stand out. I don't know which one I want to accent more. This picture is much better than the one I mentioned two posts ago.


Happy Wednesday!

1 comment:

lajamison said...

Yummy, you've got me hungry for cake now. What a beautiful piece of jewlery. You are an all around great crafter.