Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Frock Update

Well, I didn't quite get my frock made by last Friday. I don't think I even had it cut out yet. I had a lot of contemplating to do between the two yards of circle fabric and the four yards of floral fabric which would need to be lined. Lets keep it simple......no lining for me!!The yoke piece was my reason for contemplation...I had to cut the yoke into two just so that I could go forth with my two yards of the circle fabric. Here's how it laid out...

Instead of folding the selvages towards the center, I folded the cut ends towards the center plus overlapped them a few inches to get the complete angle out of the skirt that I made fuller, which was a large part of my problem. I managed to squeeze all the necessary pieces out of just two yards. I had to piece together the belt band, but I got it. I also only had 1/2 yard of the teal and had to squeeze all the pieces out of it, plus piece together the belt band again AND piece together single fold bias tape, but it all worked out. It's amazing what you can make to wear out of just two yards of fabric!!
You can see my scrap piles on the bottom, the left one of small pieces and the right one of trash. The left pile is even smaller now since I made the bias tape.
Here's what I got done last night. I would have been finished through Thursday's instructions, but I didn't sew the two side seams together and the buttons and button holes are not done. After putting it on the dress form, I thought it looked frumpy. After all that contemplating of choosing which fabric to use, then barely squeezing all the darn pattern pieces out of just two yards, I cut it a few sizes too big!! Yay for owning an adjustable dress form!! Tomorrow I might pin it all to fit properly and really see how many sizes too big it is. Oh, and I totally screwed up on the placket, but that's going to be a whole other post.

Happy June 1st!

4 comments:

lajamison said...

I love the fabric. But OMG you made your own bias tape. That seems really difficult. I bought ink for the printer last night and I'll try to print out my patter today and then I'll get started. I'll keep you posted and yours looks good - way to go.

Rachel said...

Looks great! I love the dots and I think it will be wonderful without lining. Might even be a little cooler that way!

Unknown said...

I cant wait to see it finished....this looks like quite the project.......
I always look at peoples blog for swap inspiration too...I am so glad you visited. Come by anytime!

Yarni Gras! said...

I wanted to join that but 'got no skillz' love it!